Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Nasty Weather and Failed Waterproofer


Well I have had a heck of a string of equipment issues lately. The boots are currently repaired with the equivalent of duct tape (a strip of bike tube) and replacements are on the way, but then today my jacket absorbed every drop of water that fell on it. It repelled just fine earlier this week when we had some pretty fierce rain, but today nothing was going. On the mile or so walk to the post office I discovered this. Luckily a little outdoor shop (with a fine selection of very expensive outdoor gear) had some liquid water proofer, so after everything dries out I'll re-waterproof my gear.

It was a cool day today. As you can see in the pictures, there was a dusting of snow on the peaks of some of the hills surrounding the area I am at. I determined after getting a post office box that today is a good day for writing thank you notes and reading.

I am reading the book "One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey" by Sam Keith. Tyler got me this book as a graduation gift and it is pretty awesome. It basically is the journal of Richard Proenneke. A man who went into a remote area of Alaska, built a cabin and lived through a deep freeze in the Alaskan wilderness. His cabin is amazing and he was certainly an amazing fellow. I would recommend this book to anybody.

Hopefully I will have something more interesting to write later this week or next.

Prost!

4 comments:

  1. I have read that book in the past and it should certainly get you in the mood for whatever adventure you wish to partake in. There is an accompanying video as well that you should certainly investigate obtaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was definitely thinking of checking out the DVD of his experiences. He must have a serious cache of images and was thinking of seeing if he published any big books of his pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get me an address and I might be able to give you a copy of the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! P.s. That old guy must be rubbing off on you (not literally) but you are writing like him or at least I hear his voice when I am reading your blog...you need to see the DVD they play it on PBS every once and a while.

    later!!!

    ReplyDelete