Friday, June 19, 2009

Long Days and Short Hikes

I awoke to rain, hard rain, then just rain reminiscent of a Pacific Northwest winter. The temperature even dropped quite a bit to help reinforce the feeling. Luckily the afternoon saw clearing and by 4pm things were looking pretty nice.

Well, I'm settling into my new job, which is good and bad. Good because I'm feeling pretty comfortable. The work isn't difficult, very similar to what I did in high school, but with less safety requirements :)

This settling is bad though, because the workload has been light. It's left a lot of time 'finding' things to do. It makes the day feel longer than it should, but I'll live. I actually work with really nice people and have been working with two cool Chicago guys doing recycling, which is mindless work, but those two have found ways to keep the atmosphere light and relatively fun.

After dinner today I headed towards the park and covered a little over 3 miles pretty quickly. The trail was well worn and bordered on each side by pink, purple, and yellow wildflowers. I also caught a rabbit hopping around near the trail. Digital focus doesn't help the image much, but you can tell rabbit, big, fat rabbit. The short hike was pretty nice and it looks like I will be able to use this trail every week to go to the post office and get my mail.

This weekend I will have my orientation done and can then look at getting into the park and doing some hiking. Most of the hiking in the park is unmarked, which will be new and fun. With any luck I will have some photos from inside the park itself posted in a week or so.

L'chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment