Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21, 2009: Day Hikes, Cool Breezes, a rare swan (?), and a busted pair of hiking boots


My first day off since I got here was today. With that being the case, I started early. I got up at 6:00 for a morning run, which was around 3 miles. I still don’t like running in the cold, but this summer I’ll have to get used to it again. Then I showered, did laundry, ate a big breakfast, and was off-site by 9:30.
The plan was to hit the Wilderness Access Center and Denali Visitor Center. Then, with whatever time is left, I would check out some of the different hiking trails around the area and see the National Park Service sled dogs. I made it to the WAC first and picked up some postcards and cards for friends and family back home. The WAC is where backcountry-hiking passes are picked up. Different ranger-led hikes and other tours can be scheduled here too. One of the ranger-led hikes happening on my next day off sounded really cool. The folks working there were really helpful about hiking in the Park.
Next was the Denali Visitor Center, which was opened in 2005 and was designed with sustainability in the forefront. The picture on the right is of one of the windows with photovoltaics integrated into the window. I thought this was a cool concept; using silicon photovoltaics in a window that they wanted some natural light in, but not too much. They had a 3.5kW PV system installed in this way. They have a very impressive folder, provided by a Park Ranger provided at the Information Desk, that outlines the design and all the things they do at the park to minimize their impact. It is quite impressive!

You can read more about the building in the award write up at the link below.

http://www.cleanenergyawards.com/top-navigation/nominees-projects/nominee-detail/project/42/?cHash=d1d799105b

The rest of the day was spent hiking some of the trails around the park entrance. The main one was the Horseshoe Lake Trail, which was easy and fun. There were all sorts of off-shooting trails that allowed for lots of exploring the lake. Most of these were probably game trails, judging by the tracks left in the mud. As seen in some of the photos, there are three beaver dams, as well as their lodges and much evidence of their labors.
I also saw a swan swimming and eating in the lake. I'm not sure what type it is, but judging from the Audobon Society guide I have it is either a Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus) or the more rare Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator). I am leaning towards it being a Trumpeter due to the lack of yellow on the bill, due to so many of them being located in Alaska and the fact that they like to nest on mounds, like beaver dens. I also saw the beaver that has been hard at work on the lake. Overall, it was a fun little hike!
I hiked through lunch and was getting a bit hungry so I finished the day by scouting out the other trailheads and checking out where the post office is at so I can get a PO Box on Wednesday.
One bad thing did happen though. My hiking boots… they’re dead. I killed them! Not only did my left boot repair job fail (not a big surprise), but my right boot sole is also starting to separate (a little surprise). Bummer! I’m thinking that I will order a new set of boots as soon as my security deposit comes in. Climb High Outlet has a good pair for relatively cheap and in my size, so I’m thinking I’ll order them up unless the shipping time and cost is nuts. If that is the case, then an REI run in Fairbanks may be necessary.
I thought that these boots quit kind of early, but as I was hiking back I considered their age. I bought these about 7 or 8 years ago. They survived day hikes around Oahu and Kauai, several northwest winters, a winter framing houses, and numerous outdoor projects. So I guess I should be happy with how they’ve held up. All the same, being required to buy new boots stinks compared to choosing to buy a new pair of boots.
Monday may see white-water rafting on a river filled with frosty glacial runoff. It should be fun, cold, and fun!


L’chaim!

3 comments:

  1. Dave,

    I have been keeping up with your blog...one little piece of advice (since I am currently operating 3 blogs) provide detail...I mean Jesus c'mon where is the detail? Just kidding...I felt like I was there with you looking at your bird book and helping you flip pages as we giggled together. Sounds like you are having a good time! Keep the writing up the Thoreau!

    Later,

    Mr. Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, waking up and being able to take a morning run in Denali before breakfast... In the immortal words of Nepolean Dynamite, "Lucky!"

    It's unbeleavable how much work those beavers can do. I saw the picture of the trees before I read through your entry and at first I was thinking that somebody chopped them down with a hatchet or something. How in the hell do those little guys haul those trees to the river? Maybe they're not as small as I think.

    I can't wait to hear/see more and live vicariously through your Alaskan adventures!

    Give us a shout with your PO box when you get one!

    Peace,

    Mikey

    P.S. That's what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mikey! Heard about the wife and the human she is host to. Congratulations!

    I got some pics of the beaver, but they were all when he was swimming. I suspect he is a big guy. They get pretty good sized, but how they manage to move some of these trees they down is amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete