Sunday, July 5, 2009

Long, hazy hike to surrounding peaks




Today after climbing to Mt. Healy in the early morning I hiked some of the peaks connected to it. The ridge hiking was great! Tiring, but great! I saw two Dall sheep, some weird marmot/raccoon looking creature (the colors looked wrong for a hoary marmot), and a ptarmigan (Rock Tarmigan to be exact, Lagopus mutus). The highlight of the day would have to be my taking a wrong turn coming back :P

I missed my line (BIG TIME) coming back and ended up hiking down 200 feet or so before getting my bearings and realizing where my mistake was made. Once I did figure it out, I spent a bit over an hour getting back on track. This hour was spent scrambling through some really sketchy rock fields. Way to go Dave!

Sorry the pictures in the post kind of stink. The weather is beautiful, clear, and warm, but a wildfire is sending some smoke into the area. Overall the hike was good! I did a lot of scrambling of big rocks and cool rocky peaks. I also found that the best trail is the one chosen by the Dall sheep. There were some really fun traversing routes they had covered along big rock formations that were sketchy and fun!

With any luck next Wednesday's post will feature some pics and words from a hike in the park itself, hopefully I won't be eaten by a bear :)

3 comments:

  1. Please don't get eaten by a bear, and please try to stay on your trails, lines, whatever.

    =ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is indeed a hoary marmot. probably a young'un. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!

    I didn't think they had the brownish coloring, but I'm glad I know what it is now! Hopefully I'll see some more of them.

    ReplyDelete